Have you been to a beauty store and really liked something but you couldn’t buy it just because you were not sure if that would suit your skin type/ skin tone? Happened to most of us. Isn’t it?
Today I am going to share with you different types of skin types and tones and how you can ‘Know the skin you are in’.
Skin Types: There are basically 4 skin types.
- Dry Skin
- Oily Skin
- Normal skin: Not to dry not too oily
- Combination skin: Dry in some areas of face and oily in others
You must have heard all the buzz about skin type everywhere, but which one is yours? Your skin type depends on things like:
- Water content (which effects its comfort and elasticity)
- How oily it is (which effects its softness)
- How sensitive it is
How to identify your skin type?
While there are several ways to determine your skin type, the most easiest one is to wash your face with a gentle cleanser in the night before bed and examining your skin next morning. You can use a tissue paper by pressing it on your face to know whether it is oily, dry or combination (oily in t-zone and dry on rest of the face or vice versa).
Skin Tone and Undertones: To understand the exact color of your skin, it is important to know the undertone of your skin. Whether it is cool, warm or neutral. Undertones are the colors that come through your skin from underneath the surface and effect it’s overall color. People from all skin colors, from very fair to deep can have cool, warm or neutral undertones.
- Cool: The skin which shows hints of blue or pink.
- Warm: Skin with hints of yellow or peach.
- Neutral: Skin that does not show obvious overtones but the natural skin color is more evident.
How to determine your skin’s undertone? There are different methods to identify your skin’s undertone.
- Check your veins: Check your veins on inside part of your wrist. If they appear blue you have cool undertones while of they look green, you have warm undertones.
- Jewellery Trick: Think about which jewellery looks better on you, golden or silver. If your answer is silver, you have cool undertones and if gold suits you more, you have warm undertones.
These are two most easy ways to identify your skin’s undertone. If you get different results, you might most likely have neutral undertones.
I hope this post is helpful for you and saves you a lot of time on your next visit to beauty store figuring out what foundation shade will work for you or which moisturizer is good for your skin type.
Keep loving yourself ❤